Tuesday, October 27, 2009

And Another Thing

So after many moons of wondering how Drew's speech was developing, we started taking him to speech therapy through the school district (hey, it's free and my tax dollars pay for it, so why not.)

He's been going two days a week and despite the fact that he is doing much better, they keep finding sounds for him to work on. For example, last week one of the words was "mule." Seems pretty easy to you and me, right? Nope....let's sound it out: me-you-ul. Then I have correct him on musicbox (no, it's not mu-stick box). No wonder it's hard for him to get.

So as I pull the sheet out to work on with him tonight, full of one & two syllable words, Drew insists on playing with his dinosaurs. "No mommy, I need to put the stegosaurus next to the tyrannosaurus rex. That's a velocirapter. I like the triceratops." My mouth just about dropped. (Patrick was laughing at me.)

Verdict: Ostrich - hard and boring 2 syllable word for a 3 year old
Tyrannosaurus Rex - way too cool to not learn how to say

I guess we'll be able to drop out of speech therapy once we hit the dino words.

No comments:

Post a Comment